Staying centered and focused on your goals is hard. In the beginning, we’re certainly motivated. But we all know how that motivation wanes over time. We get caught up, stuck, frustrated, overloaded, overworked, distracted, and we simply just veer off track. Clearly, it’s hard to stay focused when we have so much going on.
Yet, in the back of our minds, we know that those excuses will only take us so far. Yes, it’s easy to let life get the best of us, but it’s not okay to veer so far off track that we forget what we truly wanted out of life and why we really wanted it. So staying focused on our goals is not only important, it’s crucial.
When you’re not in a good place, it’s hard to stay centered
“Staying centered” is an internal experience of feeling calm and confident within yourself
It’s a feeling of deep trust in one’s abilities or intuition.
Over 10 Years at Innovation I’ve learned the number one thing that clients struggle with the most is staying centered, focused and in control of what they want. There is just so much temptation and quick fixes it’s so easy to fall into what you don’t want instead of working hard for what you do want.
Clients ask me all the time how I stay centered and focused and I always explain how being consistent and planning and preparing my routine, food, and exercise not only keeps me centered – it also manages my stress.
Once you start to feel off-center, it becomes the snowball – you start stress eating, and sleeping less, and because you are not eating on program you stop exercising because you make yourself believe – why should I exercise if I am not eating well— Sound familiar? I’m sure it does, because when you’re feeling out of control and off centered one or more of your good habits is bound to fall. But at the end of the day for me – it’s just not worth it. I know that I function my best when I am doing the right things. There are so many times I would like to grab something on my non-cheat day but I don’t do it. Is it will power? Maybe. But what I really think it is more than anything — is Positive Thinking. I am always reminding myself what is important to me and even in the most negative times I will look for the positive. Another big thing for me is Consistency. When you do something over and over (good or bad) you form habits that you live by. I am focused on what makes me feel good and I know what doesn’t and it’s never worth it. I know whatever I am grabbing for will be there on my cheat day and I almost never even want it when I can have it. Same with exercise. I run every day because I love to run. But there are days that I don’t want to go but I never give myself a choice because I know when I am done I am so happy and if I don’t go I am never happy about not doing it. Many times we get in our own way of what we want and what we don’t want. Many of us have a way of making life so much harder than it has to be. What it all comes down to is it’s not that difficult to do the right thing. If we have a plan and follow it through and we stay positive – we can accomplish anything.
HERE ARE 10 TOP TIPS ON HOW TO KEEP CENTERED, FOCUSED AND IN CONTROL:
1. Positivity. I truly believe In the power of the positive mind. I believe we can talk ourself into being whatever we want to be. It’s the power of manifestation at it’s highest level. It starts with your own positive energy and what you put out to the universe and to others. That means sharing the love, giving compliments, not gossiping, and most of all believing in yourself.
What I find to be the most damage to clients is the negative they put upon themselves. Living in a negative state is so destructive to you and everyone around you. How you think and feel and how much negative or positive you put into your mind, your words and your life is going to reflect on you and it’s going to affect everyone around you. So this week listen to your words and work hard to turn the glass half empty into the glass half full because I promise you when you live in a positive mindset it’s going to be life changing.
2. Non-negotiables. First of all, you may be thinking “what in the world are non-negotiables. Well, non-negotiables are those things in your routine or your lifestyle that are must-do’s that you prioritize to stay healthy and feel your best. For me my non-negotiable are eating on program, running, and family time. So I make those things a priority in my day that I have to incorporate around my work day. No matter what I get them done because they are non-negotiable and they must be included every day. I will not trade off one of them to do something else – that is why it’s non-negotiable. — Today take time to reflect on your lifestyle and decide what things you need to feel 100% and at your best every day and make them non-negotiable in your day.
3. Routines. You may have heard me speak of it in an earlier blog or podcast. Creating and practicing a routine is one of the most powerful things you can do to train your body to stay centered, focused and in control. There is great power in starting my day feeling calm and in control – and my routine gives me that.
4. Reflect. I always take 5 minutes a day to reflect on my goals. I tell clients all the time – take a step back and look at where you were, where you are now and where you want to be. Sometimes we can forget why we are working so hard and sometimes our goals can change. When you take a step back and reflect you can revisit your goals and make sure that you are still on the right path to reach them.
5. What do you want – what is your goal?. Get clear on what YOU want first – So many are conditioned to pay attention to what others want, they forget to think about what they want. Getting clarity FIRST on what you want is critical.
6. Journaling. Now you know what you want – it’s time to write them down. When you don’t write down your goals they stay in the abstract. They are less real, even if you think they are as real as they can be. You have to write them down and get very specific about them. Writing out your goals and specifically about what you want is the smartest goal setting method you can do. If you want to stay centered, focused and in control then you need to ensure you are doing it the right way. If you are serious about your goals and what you want, then you have to actively set them and detail them out. Simply create as much detail towards your prospective goals as you possibly can and you will achieve them
7. Listen to your Intuition. I am a very intuitive being. Most of the time I know what people are thinking and what they want before they even tell me. We all have an inner voice. Give yourself the quiet time to listen to your intuition. Stop “Doing” for at least10 minutes each day and start just “Being”. We’re called human beings and not human doings for a reason. I actively do this when I am running. I am listening to my thoughts and feelings. Listening to your intuition will tell you what’s really important to YOU. It will give you clarity on what you really want and it will give you greater confidence to get it.
8. Pay Attention to Your Energy. Make a list of what energizes you and what de-energizes you. This could be related to your work, your friends, your exercise. Then spend more of your time with what energizes you and less on what doesn’t. You’ll be surprised at how much more powerful you will feel.
9. Be in competition only with yourself. I am a big believer that we should only try to be better tomorrow than who we are today – and better today than who we were yesterday. It shouldn’t matter who has what or more than you. Our thoughts and emotions have an incredible ability to either give us power or take our power away. Every time you compare yourself to others, you give your power away. Start to watch your thoughts and emotions almost like an outsider and then focus on the ones that give you more power. When you focus only on being the best person you can be and doing it by being a better person each day – that is when you will really see yourself gain power. Be your best self – and let everyone else be theirs.
10. Manifest It: Manifestation is based on The Law of Attraction, which, in simple terms, is the ability to bring things into our realities through energetic attraction. Essentially, like attracts like, what you are putting out into the world is what you will receive back from it. Remember manifesting will only work if you believe it will. So if you believe that you are going to be healthy, happy, thin, and wealthy – and you put that into the universe, you work hard everyday for it, believe in it, and stay positive every day about it —I really believe it will happen. It might not be overnight but the more you believe in it the more you will see it.
If you read the list above you will see how the list goes hand in hand. You can’t manifest the positive in your life if you are gossiping and putting out negative for others. You must live what you want to manifest. So start by being positive – have your non-negotiable that are important to you – make sure you are following your routine daily so you feel your best – be clear on what you want and then journal about it. Listen to your intuition – Pay attention to your energy -be your best self everyday – and manifest exactly what you want and how you want your life to be. Think about it right now. If you could plan your dream life what would it be …..— these are the energies you put out into the universe everyday and you will see and feel the universe return abundance.
When you live this way daily you will find that you stay centered, focused and in control and day by day you will be reaching your goals. We all have the power to be who we want to be and live how we want to live. If you haven’t already – then start today. I promise you will be so happy you did.
IT’S ALREADY YOURS
YOU JUST HAVE TO BELIEVE IT
~Love to Live Healthy with Josephine Fitzpatrick
Innovation Healthy Market
8031 Jericho Tpke
Woodbury, NY 11797